Good news! Because our last Rainbow Shield training session was in such high demand, we’ll be holding another online session for the basic level on Tuesday, May 5th, 2020, starting at 11:00 AM ET.
This LGBTQ cultural competency training is a unique opportunity for military and veteran service providers and advocates to sharpen their skills and expand their knowledge base.
All participants will receive a certificate certifying CEUs or CPUs.
Date: Tuesday, May 5th 2020
Time: 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM ET
LGBTQ 101 for Leaders, Advocates, and Service Providers
This training provides a foundation for working with LGBTQ veterans. The learning outcomes for this training include:
- Understand who our organization is, our history, and what we do
- Develop an understanding of LGBTQ military and veteran experiences in a historical context
- Understand the terms sexual orientation, gender identity, and pronouns
- List specific challenges faced by LGBTQ community members, including impacts of stigma, discrimination, and policy
The topics to be covered in this training include:
- History and demographics of the LGBTQ military and veteran community
- Overview of terminology and common experiences of the LGBTQ military and veteran community
- Myths and stereotypes that impact how LGBTQ people are seen and treated in society, including how to recognize and see past harmful representations
- Policies impacting LGBTQ service members, veterans, and their families